Monday, April 21, 2014

Lehman Russ Panzer Edition








Despite a weekend of paperwork for the company, I managed to complete one of the paint tests I started. Normally I don't paint a full model for a test, but this one forced me to complete it. I just wasn't sure if it was too boring before I added the weathering. In fact, most of the time was spent figuring out how to weather it, and deciding if I wanted to use green or grey cammo. I've decided to paint up another LR go to with the green turret showed in the earlier post. I don't think it will look too weird seeing a variety of tank color schemes spread across vehicles so long as they all look like they belong on the field together. The final tank may be predominantly grey with sand colored cammo. My Krieg will be painted with the grays and greens used on the tanks

One thing I am not sure of is the tracks. I painted the pins metal, the overall track brown, and the rubber pad black. Should I add metallic weathering powders to the edges of the brown treads? Should I mix in a few more colors of sand and dust?

6 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic, that's some great weathering! I think the tracks look good, leave them as they are

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tank. The only thing that stands out odd to me, is the overly rusty exhaust mufflers. It clashes with the rest of the model and brings intense attention to them.

    I like the tracks, and model as is, just don't like the glaring contrast in those exhaust pieces. I think it distracts from the rest of the model!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good critique about the mufflers. In the future I am going to paint the casings like heat stained metal, and just the pipes rusty. I wasn't really sure what to do with these old style ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...maybe go with more soot/worn metal then rust. I think part of the reason it stands out so much is because of the wear on the rest of the model. The tank is fighting prime. It's seen battle, but is relatively fresh. So the rusty exhaust seems a bit out of place.

      If you like the rust effect, maybe duplicating it on other parts of the model would help the effect come together more.

      Then of course this is a single model by itself. I haven't looked at an entire army painted like this, it might work perfectly well!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful model!
    I like the sandy colour, like "dunkelbeg" from Africa Korps. This light colours are very kindly to weathering proccess.

    Are you going to paint your LRs with grey and sand? Wouldn't be this scheme too similar to Steel Legion vehicules? Anyway it's a superb scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding some grey camp tanks would invoke steel legion, but I think the steel legion themselves are patterned after german ww2 styles.

      I just tried green stripes which did not work out so well. will post soon.

      Delete